- Toyna Chin, San Francisco, CA
1. The first step is to perform needs analysis. In other words, I needed to define what I wanted. Do I want to have fancy page-turning feature that some third-party vendors supply? Not at this time.
2. My website is built with Drupal 7 so I need to have a Drupal 7 version. I also want to follow the general guidelines for choosing a Drupal module. Bascially, I want to choose a module that has several thousand downloads. This will ensure that it is stable and widely used and being actively supported with current bug fixes and security fixes. I try to avoid contributed modules that have a licensing fee.
I'm sorry that your first experience with Drupal wasn't what you expected. I hope that you will give Drupal another chance. I've worked on many Drupal sites that worked very well and were easy to use.
There's a lot of benefits to redesigning your website with Drupal:
- A lot of the theme styling is already done and can be used with the new responsive theme
- Your current Drupal site uses a module called Context which has a drag and drop interface that allows you to drag and drop content, images and blocks and rearrange the page layout in many different ways. This way you can position the blocks in different places on the pages. You can have an unique layout on each page.
- The site also uses a module called Views which Wordpress doesn't have. It allows you to display pieces of content in listings on pages or blocks or slideshows or lightboxes. It's extremely flexible and powerful
- Drupal's taxonomy or tags system is very useful. You can enter one promotion or event and tag it with several location tags and have it show up on several different pages or blocks.
I look forward to doing the UX design and re-building your website with Drupal. It's a dream project for me to be able to do both the UX design and also to build it out. I'm sorry your first experience with Drupal wasn't what you expected. I'm confident that I can redesign and rebuild your website so that it more than meets your needs and also is easy to use. I'm planning on building a prototype so you can test it out and see how easy it is to update the content.
Would you like a FREE consultation and demonstration on the Benefits of Using Drupal? Contact Katy[at]SeascapeWebDesign.com today!
Related Article: Why Choose Drupal? Here are 7 Reasons
Visit www.truckpark.ca today!
Sometimes it's hard to find the sollution to this problem. The error message is so wordy and goes on for several lines. When searching Google for a solution, what search phrase do you use? Do you search for "Uncaught Exception in Shutdown Function" or "General Error: 2006 MySQL server has gone away"?
Here are some solutions to this problem.
1. Press F5 on your browser to refresh the screen. For some people, this simple step solved the problem.
2. Edit your my.ini configuration file to increase max allowed packet size.
Seascape built this online news site to cover the upcoming Yellowknife City Council Election. We used Views to display Mayor Candidate profiles and Council Candidates. We added video interviews for each candidate. We added Ads and Polls, Issues and Opinion pieces. Editors and Reporters are able to add new articles easily. Articles are published upon Managing Editor approval. This site is built with Drupal 7.
This article is written for Drupal websites specifically. But the main items apply to any platform such as Wordpress or Joomla. Here is an overview:
Here is part 2 of my Introduction to Drupal series.
Drupal is a popular Content Management System
- This means that the user can add new content and edit existing content.
- It is built with PHP and mySQL so it provides dynamic content
Drupal is Open Source
- no license fees
- available as a free download at Drupal.org
- maintained by global community of volunteers
- software is frequently updated to improve security, fix bugs and add new features
Visit J Laan Construction today!
Join us for our next meetup on May 10th at 7pm at the ABC Restaurant at 15373 Fraser Hwy. The doors are open at 6pm if you would like to arrive early, that's OK. Katy of SeascapeWebDesign.com will be presenting on How to Build an Intranet with Drupal 7. Katy recently built a documentation library for a company intranet. Come prepared to share your ideas and experiences on how to build an Intranet with Drupal.